Marina di Ragusa
The old country name was Mazzarelli, which comes from the arabic words Marsa A’Rillah, meaning small harbour. During the sixteenth century at the harbour, Cabrera Tower was built for defensive purposes. In 1928, as wish of fascist Filippo Pennavaria, the name was changed into the current Marina di Ragusa.
The town is located about 20 km from Ragusa and it’s close to other towns as Santa Croce Camerina, Donnalucata and Scicli. By sea, starting from the Porto Turistico (The Marina), recently completed, you can reach the Island of Malta with private boats and from Pozzallo with fast catamarans that ply between the two islands during the year. Nearby attractions of the Baroque Age as Ragusa Ibla, Scicli, Modica and Noto, included in the world sites of UNESCO.
The main business in Marina di Ragusa, today, is based mainly on tourism. Historically known as “fishing village” along its two waterfronts (Lungomare Andrea Doria and Lungomare Mediterraneo), over the years there arose numerous hotel and restaurant business. The prices of real estate rents are influenced by the summer and reach prices higher than the sicilian average. In 2009 Marina di Ragusa was awarded by the blue flag, together with the nearby Pozzallo. In the following years the town reconfirms the award resulting in one of the best beaches of Sicily by the FEE (Foundation for Environmental Education) standards.